Monday, July 16, 2012

"Khalid 3 years old" :)

**Oh no! Can't believe this post has been in my drafts for almost a month!! Khairaldin is exactly 3yrs 1mth today!**

Khalid Khairaldin turned THREE last Saturday! Alhamdulillah! We did a pre-birthday party for Layina and him in Malaysia because, other than moving back to Malaysia for good, we don't see any other time that we can celebrate his 'birthday' with his cousins. Being a June baby means it will always be school term on his birthday. So, no more time off after this seeing that he will start nursery in September, InshaAllah! How fast has that been??

THREE years?! I can't get over it, seriously. I mean even the first year birthday was a big deal and now to know that he's still growing healthily is just unreal. Don't mind me, I think I'll be writing this same thing every time it's his birthday. Haha Yes, I don't think I can ever grasp the fact that I am now a mother of two toddlers and later on even teenagers! SubhanAllah! Alhamdulillah!

So anyway, we didn't really do much on his 3rd birthday. He doesn't even know it's his birthday and I think he's still too young to understand what birthday is all about. We brought him to ASDA to let him choose his own cake but ended up he wanted a 'Yoda' cake because his Uncle Ha loves Yoda. So yeah, he had no idea what birthdays is all about. But hey, what is birthday all about anyway? Why do we feel so special on that certain day? For myself, I have grown out of birthday celebrations. Last year's birthday, I decided to send gifts to Mom and Dad instead because they have been there in my life since day 1. I don't feel anything special on 12 October other than feeling thankful for still having my parents by my side up till today. Alhamdulillah. As soon as it's 1st January, I will automatically declare my age as 1 year older than the last. Even though some would say I'm not even a full year yet. Erk, really it doesn't matter to me. It's just a number. The older I get the scarier it becomes because I know I have done so much and it makes me wonder what have I done to prepare for the hereafter?

As for Khairaldin, Layina (and future children InshaAllah) we are teaching them to not make a big deal out of birthdays. Yes, we will celebrate. Because it is a very good excuse to get people to gather and serve them some food. It's encouraged to have guests around every now and then to keep a good relation. So the 'party' isn't a big deal. What we normally tell our guest is that it's just a small gathering and because some of them know it's the kids' birthday, they would instantly say, "oh is it for Khairaldin and Layina's birthday?" We will say yes, but will insist on them to  come with no gifts at all, be it toys, clothes etc etc.

We've never bought Khairaldin a birthday present on his so called birthday. No, we are not such evil parents who do not get their child anything. Haha We just don't want him to always expect presents on his birthday. It will come to a point where he wouldn't even appreciate the gifts. Also for the guests, we know sometimes people do have financial difficulties. If we invite them as a birthday party they would think that we are expecting gifts. This will then make them feel bad not bringing anything. So we strictly tell our guests, "no present please". This not only save them some money but also save us from having to throw away the wrapping papers, boxes, etc. :)

Last week, at Khairaldin's school, I overheard mothers talking about birthday gifts. She was complaining how she had two of the same presents because there isn't that many toys for that certain age group. So yes, that's just a waste! As for clothes, not all kids grow according to the sizes referred by the store. Khairaldin for instance, is still wearing 18-24months clothing at 36months! So just imagine that. If people were to buy his aged clothes, how long have I got to just keep it in the wardrobe till he grows into it?? It'll take space and when the time comes, it might not even be in a good condition.

Alhamdulillah, so far this birthday presents arrangement seems to work. I couldn't thank Iskandar for coming up with such brilliant idea! Today, I was cleaning their toy room and the amount of toys they have got is just ridiculous. Not that they play with all of it or even any of it. They end up playing with our things. Like for instance Khairaldin has a toy microphone but both Layina and him will end up playing with our USB mic for the Wii game. So it's just a waste to get them a toy thing as we know it will not interest them much.

We are the type that will buy things when it is needed. Khairaldin might not be interested in any toys now hence it'll just waste time, money and space to get him a present just because it's his birthday. When he wants something, InshaAllah we will try and get it for him. Alhamdulillah he is not the kind that wants everything and anything. We brought him to toys'R'us thinking of buying him one of the big electronic cars, but he ended up didn't want it. Ok he did want the £300+ Ferrari ones, but when we say it's expensive he understands and don't bug us for it. Masha'Allah.

I pray that he will continue to be the guy that he is today! The boy that thinks for others (like wanting to buy Yoda cake instead of something he personally like), understands the value of money and not waste it for no reason, realises the true way of celebration/gathering according to the Islamic way and of course my constant du'a for him to become a great Muslim. Ameen!!
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments: